1(low voice)to speak in undertones/in an undertone — hablar en voz baja
2(hint)trasfondo masculinethere's an undertone of sadness in her work — su obra tiene un trasfondo de tristeza
- there was an undertone of resentment in her words — había un trasfondo de resentimiento en lo que dijo
- The strong undertone of moral earnestness, never preached, gives a stability and force to the vivid portraiture, and prevents the satiric touches from degenerating into mere malice.
- Ali's arguments are tinged with nationalistic undertones.
- His statement held undertones of sexual suggestion, just as he had intended, and had no note of insecurity or uncertainty.
- There were distinct undertones of fear and uncertainty in her voice.
- There are hints of political undertones throughout the film.
- But the political undertones are less interesting than the cultural ones.
- It's a movie with very strong spiritual undertones and overtones.
- A lot of what he said to me had sexual undertones.
- However much I tried to be funny and nice, I didn't try to hide the undertone of serious disappointment.
- Instead of watching a comedy with sinister undertones, we're force-fed a melodrama with no tones at all.
- Dark, creepy undertones swell within its electronic mixes and specifically highlight the 4th untitled track.
- This show also had a lot of racist undertones and overtones.
- There was an undertone of disapproval in his voice.
- ‘Best if you overlook the name, mate,’ she suggested in a tone that was pleasant enough, yet held the tainted undertone of threat.
- For all that written correspondence can manage, a subtle undertone and feeling is probably the hardest to achieve.
- I'd said that once before, long ago, but that hadn't been tinted with the undertones I was feeling now.
- What's elusive about their music is that the songs are written in an introspective manner and as such, the spiritual undertones are disguised as a reflective life ethic.
- It has a few inspired moments and overall is a good, fun film with depressing undertones.
- Not surprisingly, the disconcerting undertones of this film are downright troubling.
- He didn't exactly looked panicked, but his voice was dark with rage and an undertone of fear.