In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(low voice)to speak in undertones/in an undertone — hablar en voz baja
2(hint)trasfondo masculinethere's an undertone of sadness in her work — su obra tiene un trasfondo de tristeza
- there was an undertone of resentment in her words — había un trasfondo de resentimiento en lo que dijo
- The strong undertone of moral earnestness, never preached, gives a stability and force to the vivid portraiture, and prevents the satiric touches from degenerating into mere malice.
- Ali's arguments are tinged with nationalistic undertones.
- His statement held undertones of sexual suggestion, just as he had intended, and had no note of insecurity or uncertainty.
- There were distinct undertones of fear and uncertainty in her voice.
- There are hints of political undertones throughout the film.
- But the political undertones are less interesting than the cultural ones.
- It's a movie with very strong spiritual undertones and overtones.
- A lot of what he said to me had sexual undertones.
- However much I tried to be funny and nice, I didn't try to hide the undertone of serious disappointment.
- Instead of watching a comedy with sinister undertones, we're force-fed a melodrama with no tones at all.
- Dark, creepy undertones swell within its electronic mixes and specifically highlight the 4th untitled track.
- This show also had a lot of racist undertones and overtones.
- There was an undertone of disapproval in his voice.
- ‘Best if you overlook the name, mate,’ she suggested in a tone that was pleasant enough, yet held the tainted undertone of threat.
- For all that written correspondence can manage, a subtle undertone and feeling is probably the hardest to achieve.
- I'd said that once before, long ago, but that hadn't been tinted with the undertones I was feeling now.
- What's elusive about their music is that the songs are written in an introspective manner and as such, the spiritual undertones are disguised as a reflective life ethic.
- It has a few inspired moments and overall is a good, fun film with depressing undertones.
- Not surprisingly, the disconcerting undertones of this film are downright troubling.
- He didn't exactly looked panicked, but his voice was dark with rage and an undertone of fear.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.