In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He'd just returned from scuba diving in the Red Sea where he clocked up many a mile of underwater exploring.
- Their services were regularly required for underwater building and repairs around the city.
- The police helicopter and the force's underwater search unit were also bought in to assist.
- The penguins can be viewed, not just from a sloping arena but also from underwater viewing areas.
- Meanwhile, officers were waiting for an underwater team to arrive to begin a search of nearby ponds.
- He is passionate about both diving and underwater photography and does not want to let me down.
- We were on the rock and had to deflate the boat underwater to reduce the pressure the water was exerting upon the boat.
- We clambered out of the water after some serious underwater rock climbing.
- Police officers have combed the area with dogs and an underwater team has searched the canal near his work.
- If you have trouble with water going up your nose breath out whilst your underwater or consider using a nose clip.
- This is basically an underwater parachute which fills with water and slows the boat down.
- In her spare time, she is a keen sports diver and underwater archaeologist.
- He planned to shatter the world record for time spent underwater by a single person using scuba equipment.
- Well, in a landscape so void of life above water, the underwater contrast is huge.
- She said the divers will have to work with the tides and underwater visibility to do their job.
- If the lake is shallow there can be a very strong underwater tow, whether the wind is blowing or not.
- Much trade was lost during the floods because people believed the entire city was underwater.
- Many thousands of acres now lie underwater or are so wet that they will be inaccessible for many months.
- And if you go in for underwater photography, take three times as much film as you think you need.
- The waves are breaking right over the dock - soon it looks like it will be completely underwater.
1debajo del agua
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.