In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Mythologythe Underworld — el averno literary
- Orpheus retrieves Eurydice from the underworld on the condition that he not look back at her shadow until both have emerged from the vale of Avernus.
- During the last six millennia, the hero's journey to the underworld of the dead has been a main part of epic storylines.
- She also guides Persephone to the underworld and back twice a year and thus has a part to play in the seasons.
- Alice asked, craving more answers from this plethora of magical knowledge Clay seemed to possess about the underworld and earth.
- Like other similar goddesses, she has her connection with the underworld: in the Book of the Dead she is shown accompanying the soul to judgement and providing the deceased with food and drink.
- The concept of the dead travelling through the underworld in a boat is regularly depicted in the Valley of the Kings and the tombs of the Pharaohs.
- Persephone was forced to live a dual life in both the underworld and earth after eating the pomegranate seeds given to her by Hades.
- In the myth of the Orpheus / Eurydice saga, Orpheus was given a dispensation by Pluto to return his wife from the underworld (she had been bitten by a poisonous serpent and died).
- When Aeneas travels to the underworld, as most heroes do, he is accompanied by Sibyl, his guide sent by Apollo.
- The spirit assumes the appearance of a dead man and goes down to the underworld.
- The last of the Titans, Typhon was the son of the earth and the underworld.
- To gain entrance to this forbidden domain she threatened to break down the gates of the underworld, free the dead and devour the living.
- In the famous sixth book of the Aeneid, Aeneas travels to the underworld in search of his father, Anchises.
- Pluto, or Hades, rules the underworld but even he was taken by the power of love and lust, for Proserpina.
- In the myth she was abducted by the God of the underworld, Pluto, and stolen away to his kingdom of Hades.
- And I will be more powerful than any other on the face of the earth or in the underworld.
- Both were mighty queens in the underworld where they cast light upon the dead in their darkness.
- Pluto is the mythological ruler of the underworld, the keeper of dark secrets.
- I am a living breathing hormonal teenage girl though I would much rather prefer to be a living dead goddess of the underworld with no emotions at all.
- Like Orpheus bringing Eurydice out of the underworld, it seems the novelist cannot look directly at love without losing it.
2(criminals)the underworld — el hampa
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.