In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The stars at night have a special brilliance undimmed by city lights and close to the door of the cottage there are glowworms.
- Clarke says his enthusiasm for politics is undimmed, and that if his age excludes him from high office, then British politics has become a juvenile pursuit.
- His ceaseless energy could therefore be read as undimmed vigour or rising panic, depending on your perspective.
- The old magic glints undimmed in evocative details.
- After nearly 11 years as chief executive, his confidence is undimmed.
- Given his enormous and undimmed skills as a storyteller, that could have been a brilliant book.
- The passion for policy discussion among Lib Dems continues undimmed.
- At one point they literally have icicles hanging from their noses, while children toboggan down a slope beside them, but the clarity and beauty of their singing remains undimmed.
- And the heartfelt power of its final moments, in which the point of the title is revealed, remains undimmed after nearly 80 years.
- His first album since 1996 reflects his new-found sobriety, its country-rock sound revealing that his melodic sense is happily undimmed.
- Beckett's enthusiasm is undimmed by the gruelling schedule his two jobs enforce.
- But he insists his desire to win trophies is undimmed.
- More than a week on and the power of the pictures shot on the morning of the attack remains undimmed.
- A brain injury precludes his appearances on the ice these days, but no matter, his mental faculties remain gloriously undimmed.
- No one, however, denied that this was a picture of breathtaking quality, a jewel of Renaissance art, whose gentleness and elegance comes down to us undimmed across the centuries.
- ‘It's weird, but I've never felt like an actress,’ says Gallagher, in her undimmed northern accent.
- He may be stepping down after 18 years in Westminster at the next general election, which is expected in May, but his passion for socialism remains undimmed.
- But even through this uncertainty, Baxter's enthusiasm and wit, and his pleasure at being in France, remain undimmed.
- The series officially ended in 1991, but regular repeat showings and a string of one-off Christmas specials has ensured its popularity has remained undimmed.
- Unbelievably, it's 20 years old, but its freshness is undimmed and its vision unrivalled.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.