In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(being out of work)desempleo masculinedesocupación feminineparo masculine Spaincesantía feminine Chilebefore noun unemployment insurance — seguro de desempleo masculine
- unemployment benefit or (US also) compensation — subsidio de cesantía
- Holland has just had eight years of solid economic growth and unemployment is almost non-existent.
- In urban areas the problem of unemployment is not acute, it is serious mainly in rural areas.
- Part of the joy of unemployment is, of course, that I can scour the Internet for the least relevant links ever.
- Another point is that unemployment is a trap that can be hard to get out of.
- It has languished long enough in the shadow of unemployment and empty promises.
- He said such support could help to curb crime and unemployment in South Africa.
- To make any serious headway against unemployment, twice that number need to be created.
- This will in turn reduce serious long-term unemployment as well as youth unemployment.
- As a society, we have chosen to have a certain level of unemployment in exchange for low inflation.
- I have found it strange and yet logical that one of the first symptoms of unemployment is serious and serial sloth.
- The youth want to leave the country as unemployment has become a serious problem.
- Schools in sink estates send more pupils into unemployment than to further or higher education.
- In the next two sections we consider unemployment, and occupation and job levels.
- Higher education is a path away from unemployment and to equality with the rest of the working world.
- The low level of unemployment has also been a major contributor to growth.
- Drug abuse, unemployment and prejudice are among the many difficulties facing our communities.
- This is a very real fear for them, as unemployment has a drastic impact on people's self esteem.
- One such issue is the crippling and dangerous state of unemployment amongst young people.
- Cllr Weir also went on to highlight the problem of unemployment in the Ballina area.
- While this group is a spending group, it is also subject to mid-life redundancy and unemployment.
2(number of unemployed)desempleo masculinenúmero de desempleados masculineparo masculine Spaincesantía feminine Chilehidden unemployment — desempleo encubierto / disfrazado
- before noun unemployment figures — número de parados
- The politicians will lose voters and the unemployment figures will certainly go up with a bang.
- The official unemployment figures for April also point to a contracting economy.
- Critics perceived it as a desperate government policy to hide the soaring unemployment figures of the day.
- So all this economic growth stuff and unemployment figures may be wide of the real mark.
- The latest UK unemployment figures have shown a small fall in the number of jobless.
- The index saw its biggest rise for nine months in July when record unemployment figures were announced.
- The drop in Maori unemployment on a proportionate basis has been most impressive.
- One suspects that at least some of the reason is that the unemployment figures are thereby massaged.
- What will cause problems to both borrowers and lenders is if the economy takes a dive and unemployment rises.
- Also the second oil crisis towards the end of the 1970s had an influence on the unemployment figures.
- Inflation, unemployment and retail sales figures are all forecast to point to a slowdown.
- The unemployment figure in this country is the lowest that it has been in a generation.
- A number of policies were introduced which caused the unemployment figures to drop.
- The actual unemployment rate in the shanties is much higher than official figures.
- The decease in the unemployment figures did little to increase the government's popularity.
- The achievement by this government I am most proud of is the unemployment figure.
- With six-and-a-half per cent unemployment, we have the worst figures in the region.
- It would lower unemployment figures because more people would be able to do it.
- One of the main reasons is it's very difficult to get unemployment figures over a century.
- It must also be said that it helps to keep the unemployment figures at an acceptable level.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.