In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- And today, as then, Churchill's next comment is note perfect: ‘Our comradeship and our brotherhood in war were unexampled.’
- The best portraiture in history was, of course, done in the Low Countries, in an unexampled tradition that continued until the economic eclipse of the Netherlands by England.
- To paraphrase Trotsky, even in times of unexampled crisis, mad acts like this constitute an unimportant percentage.
- The food of a nation had perished, and a desolation unexampled in modern times came down upon the land.
- The catastrophe, though unique in France, was not unexampled further east.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.