- Although the evolution of well-mixed, unicellular microorganisms has been studied extensively, the evolution of filamentous microorganisms has not.
- As compared to metazoans, the development of these unicellular organisms is likely less affected by dissociated heterochrony, which is considered a common phenomenon in metazoans.
- However, the evolutionary distance between unicellular organisms and higher plants might be a serious setback when trying to obtain high expression, at the right time and cellular localization, of foreign genes in plants.
- An interesting variant of normal photosynthesis is the simultaneous photoevolution of molecular hydrogen and oxygen by certain unicellular algae and in vitro cell-free preparations.
- In the heliocentric perspective, our dear earth is a mere speck in this expanding infinite space where a very tenacious life came into existence in its oceans about two and half billion years ago in a unicellular body - the Amoeba.