In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- One of the most obvious changes is that the new uniforms are unisex.
- The film, which featured a women's football team, has opened to rave reviews in the US, where women's football is hugely popular and the game is regarded as unisex.
- They'd dressed Sam in the usual unisex white jumpsuit, showing no imagination at all.
- After all, jeans are a relatively unisex piece of clothing, right?
- If the tag doesn't differentiate genders, the skate is unisex.
- Although unisex vests are available in every police station in a variety of sizes, body armour is not currently personally issued to each officer.
- One applies to females only - the siren; one to men only - the rake; and the rest - the ideal lover, dandy, natural, charismatic, star - are unisex.
- Yes, it was easy and unisex, but it was also wet, greasy, required a regiment of malodorous chemicals for upkeep and extensive processing, and looked just plain weird on most.
- I was bit worried that it was mainly for women, but the sales assistant convinced me it was unisex.
- This means a basic, unisex, T-shirt program is a volume program, where hundreds, even thousands of units are being prepared for a giveaway or as a premium to promote anything and everything under the sun.
- Left-wing movements have tended to be unisex, and asexual in their imagery.
- In France, I believe, a kiss on each cheek is appropriate, and unisex.
- But if women wear unisex trousers without comment, men in skirts can still raise eyebrows.
- She had to find things that were unisex, or at least looked like it.
- Intrigued, I walked up the stairs to use the men's room and discovered that the bathrooms were unisex.
- We lived a unisex dorm; both dorms on campus were unisex.
- Barry, who has stoically remained a traditional barber while many other salons went unisex, said he had seen hair lengths go full circle through the years.
- After all, most of us use unisex toilets every day in our own homes.
- This bag category is unisex and covers home as well as office use.
- He asked a girl whose name was unisex like Casey, Jamie, Kelsey or Dakota.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.