In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(family/group) unidowe are more united than ever — estamos más unidos que nunca
- we are united on that point — en ese punto estamos de acuerdo
- to present a united front — presentar un frente unido
- they are united in their grief/joy — los une el dolor/la alegría
- united we stand, divided we fall — unidos venceremos
- Everyone seemed to get along, worked together, and presented a united front, so where was the war?
- The united front that saved York City from extinction has achieved national recognition with a major footballing prize bestowed on the club.
- He is credited with building a united Muslim front and carving a kingdom for himself before embarking on fighting the Franks.
- Also, companies have to build a united front, to work together among themselves and with the authorities.
- Thus, if the Republicans don't present something like a united front, this nomination could be stopped.
- This was probably not the wisest move, as it's important to be something of a united front in situations like this.
- We can make it better by a united front in the coming year.
- This was a missed opportunity to show a united political front against the war and to broaden the appeal of the anti-war campaign.
- Joining in a united front against fascism is one thing, but being party to attacks on the working class is quite another.
- I hope they, and the Association of Teachers and Lecturers, join us in united action.
- When you add this to the current Board of Trade efforts, it's clear that there is a real united front in this city demanding transit investment.
- Strictly speaking, the call for a united front is not quite new.
- We have to build a united front of all the diverse social movements and march together on May Day.
- The concrete situation is in any case one where there are a number of different united fronts, each with its own distinct political constituencies.
- The late 1930s was the era of the united front against war and fascism.
- The couple arrived at court together in a united front after vowing they will come through the ordeal and will put it all behind them.
- The first step has to be the main parties working together to present a united front against racism, xenophobia and the politics of disunity.
- At this point the West appeared to be confronted with a united communist front covering most of the Eurasian land mass.
- He is now calling for a united front between the agency and industry to squeeze out illegal operators and to support the existing tyre recovery system.
- But, more crucially, he was also able to present a united political front.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.