In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Astronomythe universe — el universo
- At the moment they believe the universe to be expanding, or contracting, or both.
- He remembered clearly looking back at the stars, glinting at him across a million light years of the universe.
- In the initial stages of the big bang the universe existed in a highly compressed state.
- Among the many mysteries in the universe is the dark matter in galaxies and clusters.
- The basic idea behind inflation is that a repulsive form of gravity caused the universe to expand.
- Why can't we believe that the universe is infinite, both in size and duration?
- If you really believe that the universe is infinite than you must also accept that godlike things will exist.
- In the universe matter and physical space are in permanent dynamic equilibrium.
- If the universe is expanding at any time and is closed, the expansion will slow down in the future.
- So the question then is how much information has the universe processed since the Big Bang?
- Theory predicts that there is five times more dark matter than ordinary matter in the universe.
- You can see this very clearly in the physical sciences - do we have one universe or parallel universes?
- This implied that the universe was expanding and led the way to the Big Bang theory.
- Light from the object began its long journey across space when the universe was less than a billion years old.
- They want to believe the universe is an elegant universe-and it's not so elegant.
- Instead, the earth was envisaged as one planet amongst the vast, empty time and space of the universe.
- Others believe that the universe was created as a whole by a single all-powerful entity.
- Here he describes how black holes might spawn new universes.
- For a few millennia after the Big Bang, the universe was dense, turbulent, and unimaginably hot.
- Many people want to find God in the creation of the universe, in the big bang that started it all off.
- Flynn remembers meeting them in a challenge game a few years back in Ballymun but aside from that they have inhabited separate universes.
- They spiced up our holiday and enabled us to discover their universes and their cultures, familial and national.
- It was as though the two men inhabited completely un-related moral universes.
- We cannot help but sense that we are trespassing on a hundred very private, vanished universes.
- And this is not exactly rocket science because the survey universes are clearly different.
- Artists began illustrating their own, internal worlds, creating their own universes.
- Second, the five core features do not inhabit separate universes.
- I knew that Truth was peace and joy and I knew it was effortless, but thinking this and experiencing this are universes apart.
- Already, we are worlds away from the universes of The Asphalt Jungle and The Killing.
- In an elegant book, these parallel universes are the sole source of irritation.
- After all, they come not merely of different worlds, but, in effect, different universes.
- It could work in the same way that comic books bridge universes, so to speak.
- Some of these are small enough in our moral universes to almost vanish.
- Are we to consider our own dreams as the raw material to be understood as the basis of our own closed universes?
- It's like she and I are in two entirely different universes, and it's hard for us to relate.
- Both the material and metaphysical universes of the indigenous people were turned upside down.
- These fashion universes are not parallel, but keep in constant touch with one another.
- All movement between universes is closely monitored, trespassing is severely punished.
- We try and create universes in which we constantly ask ourselves how much we really want to show and how much we want to leave in the dark.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.