In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- However, even an unpolluted atmosphere may contain a variety of acidic and alkaline substances so that the pH of rainwater may be quite different from 5.6.
- Where is the crystal clear, pure, unpolluted water that once characterized the river as well as most shallow wells in the area?
- Tourists sip cappuccinos at street cafés. Everyone breathes in pure, unpolluted air.
- The atmosphere is so clear and unpolluted that the island's fishermen dry their cod catch on long poles in the open air.
- A variety of outdoor pursuits are available, including walking and cycling on quiet by-roads, visiting castles and historic houses or surfing on Atlantic rollers off unpolluted beaches.
- They are comparing sediment taken from the Humber estuary - unpolluted by radioactivity - with other samples which contain the substance.
- The crop draws nutrients from the water before it is returned to the rivers, still clean and unpolluted.
- These were laid out in 1953 and have picnic seats alongside the stream which runs clear and unpolluted.
- Watching the sun set over an ocean horizon on a clear evening will be a good start, as you will have an uninterrupted view through clear unpolluted air.
- An ‘attractive absence of progress’, added to its more-or-less unpolluted environment, seem to be bringing the island an irresistible allure.
- The clear, unpolluted waters of the west coast of Scotland were once renowned as one of the best sea trout fisheries in the world.
- Water voles, small rodents closely related to muskrats and lemmings and which live only along clear, unpolluted rivers and streams, have been decimated by non-native mink which originally escaped from fur farms.
- Take a look at those pristine, white, unpolluted sands with crystal clear water and waves gently rolling in.
- The people of Mangaia are determined to keep their island clean and unpolluted - so much so that they've asked for 250 wheelie bins and a three tonne dump truck to keep rubbish under control.
- I just smiled, took a deep breath of fresh unpolluted air, and slowly sipped on my ice cold green tea.
- Some days, like today, I wear shirts that Luc has worn as they smell of him - his sweat, his skin, but despite this, I'd love to be stripped of this essence as it would seem so clean, pure and unpolluted.
- That's because we get it from a source where it is unpolluted and sparkling.
- Nearby lies a sweeping coastline of silver sands and unpolluted aquamarine blue seas fringed by green ‘machair’ lands covered in wild flowers of every hue.
- The sea is blissfully unpolluted, and so supports a fecund, burgeoning variety of life.
- Suntan lotion and lip salve are essential in the remarkably clear, unpolluted air.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.