In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As your map is indicating, we've got strong shaking east of Paso Robles and south of Coalinga - that's a relatively unpopulated area along the San Andreas Fault.
- Eastward lay what seemed like pointless desert and unpopulated towns.
- It may not be too unlikely that eventually we would come across one another in such a small and unpopulated area eventually… but on the very same day I was thinking of it?
- One of them had a trajectory toward Kuwait City, but luckily enough it was one of those missiles downed and the other two fell and hit unpopulated areas.
- There are vast areas of unpopulated land, harbouring some very scary creatures.
- I backtrack off the Spirit Lake Highway and drive around the mountain to the south side, where a lone sheriff's deputy patrols the unpopulated roads.
- The landscape reminds me of unpopulated areas of France, rolling and verdant, alive with wild flowers, butterflies and birds, with unpolluted skies, unblemished vistas and not a whisper of a jet plane.
- Vast tracts were unpopulated, roads were extensive, but easy for brigands or local overlords to cut or tax, and often impassable in the wet season.
- I would hope that it will find an empty and unpopulated land.
- Of course, we readied ourselves to the worst, and thankfully that three missiles were intercepted, two fell in unpopulated areas, and thankfully again that none of the missiles carried any weapons of mass destruction.
- When Lewis and Clark explored the West in the early 1800s, as many as 100,000 wild grizzlies roamed the vast stretches of open and unpopulated land.
- So wildlife officials are looking for an unpopulated area in the wild to release them.
- Of course, there are still huge tracts of untouched and largely unpopulated land: in the Great Plains, where people are leaving, in the mountains, deserts and Arctic tundra.
- The rest of Iceland is agricultural, rural, or wild - 80% of its barren land is unpopulated.
- The country you enter on the far side of Burke Pass doesn't look like good farmland, but provided the rabbits are under control Merino sheep do well in this seemingly barren unpopulated land.
- However, the feeling suddenly disappeared, and Arin was left standing near an empty bench in an unpopulated area in the park.
- Two large armies, in the middle of a featureless desert, in a mostly unpopulated area going at one another.
- A moon that circled a gas giant in an unpopulated region of space.
- The region was unpopulated and desolate; far and wide there was not a tree or shrub, nothing but grass and rocks.
- It's pretty fine, I think - they seem to have developed a sort of big empty sound, the aural equivalent of looking at an immense unpopulated landscape.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.