In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Up an unpromising staircase, the door opens into a small and perfectly-formed space, dominated by a long counter behind which skulks a spotty girl.
- The quality is unknown but when Scotland on Sunday tested bootleg DVDs last year, the results were unpromising.
- This machine would be his only escape in the unpromising future.
- Hypnosis has also shown unpromising results in the treatment of stammering.
- In these unpromising circumstances a living community grows up.
- They live in a house in the most unpromising of territory - a grim estate on the Charlton-Woolwich boundary - yet the interior of their home is fantastic.
- Such brief moments of happiness snatched from unpromising circumstances are generally the most that Loach's characters can hope for.
- Despite the unpromising subject matter Tintin became a soaring success and the print run for the supplement soon had to be increased.
- There, ordinary people have learned to be inventive with the most unpromising of materials.
- Even the most unpromising small plot can be transformed into a successful garden with hints which will show you just what can be achieved when space and time are at a premium.
- In these unpromising circumstance, the Collinsons, like the other families, believe only a public inquiry will find the truth.
- But if the premise is unpromising, the result is utterly engrossing.
- But this alone is not enough to explain why it has survived so well in such unpromising circumstances.
- Born in Beverley in 1949, his rise to success from distinctly unpromising beginnings is an inspiration to other young artists.
- We picked it up as ‘the least unpromising or obvious thing on the shelf in Somerfield’ and I think it cost around £6.50 a bottle.
- Into such unpromising circumstances step up The Colonies and they give good gig.
- Curaçaoans have always known that success can be distilled from the most unpromising of ingredients.
- It spins riveting, moving drama out of the most unpromising premise imaginable: the implementation of the 35-hour working week.
- And people are going to keep using the flag, some to celebrate a heroic past, some to protest an unpromising future.
- Perhaps he will surprise us all at Muirfield, but the portents are unpromising.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.