In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(unhurt)ilesoindemneshe emerged unscathed from the wreck/affair — salió ilesa del accidente/indemne del asunto
- the village survived the bombing unscathed — el pueblo no sufrió daños en el bombardeo
- If you pay just a little bit of attention, you can get through life mostly unscathed.
- Twice he parachuted into France to deliver gold to the resistance and made his way back unscathed.
- In no other city but Athens could we have come out of the adventure unscathed.
- He came virtually unscathed out of the two scams thanks largely to shabby investigation.
- Occupants of the smashed car escaped with slight injuries and those in the house were unscathed.
- His office was evacuated and he escaped unscathed before the south tower was hit and collapsed.
- Most emerge unscathed but some young people become alienated from their families and end up with nowhere to turn.
- After what seems like a lifetime, you emerge unscathed at the far end.
- Perhaps it was that competitive spirit which saw him emerge unscathed from so many tumbles during his racing career.
- Ashcroft's injury apart, the team came through unscathed from the two Bank Holiday matches.
- Amid all the cuts, the Park and Ride services are to continue unscathed, with the concession of a few extra stops.
- Unfortunately for Mark, although he came through the war unscathed, he has suffered since.
- All in all it's probably a good thing that my mum got away unscathed.
- Almost nothing survived unscathed, but 12 plants did survive and some even grew.
- The woman, who didn't have a smoke alarm fitted, escaped unscathed after being woken up by the barking of her dogs.
- Are we to believe that Park's reputation will remain unscathed from this affair?
- The pair emerged unscathed, but a female friend suffered serious injuries.
- When a fishing vessel is lost and all the crew make it home unscathed to find their families waiting for them it's a good result.
- The Cougar team came through the game relatively unscathed, but three players picked up slight injuries.
- How I managed to get through that period relatively unscathed I have no idea.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.