In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He said rubbish on motorways is unsightly and poses a danger to both drivers and animals.
- The most effective control is to check the plants regularly and remove unsightly and badly - affected foliage.
- Also pay special attention to alleyways that can often be a wind trap or a store for unsightly rubbish.
- This year they hired a part time by-law officer to aggressively enforce bylaws such as unsightly premises.
- If you are worried that the warts are unsightly, see your GP about treatment options to help them to clear up more quickly.
- At the present time the river bed, situated in the village is almost dried up and is an unsightly mass of dried algae and slime.
- Travellers who were running a paving company from a disused pub car park turned it into an unsightly rubbish dump.
- A rapidly expanding use of the technology is in the removal of unsightly warts and cysts.
- Often they are opposed by the community because they are deemed either unsightly or a hazard because of radiation emissions.
- If you have an ugly suite, chances are you've also inherited some unsightly tiles.
- Work will commence shortly and will include the removal of the unsightly narrow grass margin on the city side.
- However, wind farms are often unpopular because they are unsightly.
- Photos of ugly babies and unsightly spouses have never met a kinder pair of eyes than yours.
- At the back were unsightly old workshops and flat-roofed buildings.
- They are also of the opinion that the mast is unsightly in a high amenity residential area, and that it is extremely high.
- But too often mouths are firmly closed to hide yellowing enamel, unsightly fillings or missing teeth.
- Not only is this unsightly, it is also a health hazard and has been seen as showing a lack of respect for the community in general.
- It led to the removal of a number of trees, and the construction of unsightly water cylinders and pumping houses.
- The biggest problems appear to be litter on the streets and dogs fouling the footpaths, both unsightly.
- An unsightly building in the centre of Hockley which was once an iron foundry is set to be demolished and replaced with a new block of offices.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.