In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1impropio de un militarimpropio de un soldado
- Acceptance means that hereditary power will soon pass to his ineffectual, unsoldierly son, Richard.
- They've made snarky jabs about the administration using our soldiers as ' social workers, ' doing all sorts of unmanly, unsoldierly duties.
- I was drafted in the fall of 1953… a most unsoldierly soldier, but a lucky one.
- Some leaders consider it unsoldierly to have a strategic focus.
- This was so effective that the soldier was unable to maintain a unsoldierly appearance even when out of uniform.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.