In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(attempt) infructuoso(attempt) fallido(attempt) vanothe unsuccessful outcome of the talks — el fracaso de las negociaciones
- after two unsuccessful marriages — después de dos fracasos matrimoniales
- to be unsuccessful with men/women — no tener éxito con los hombres/las mujeres
- we regret to inform you that your application has been unsuccessful — lamentamos comunicarle / informarle que en esta ocasión su solicitud no ha prosperado
- I tried to contact you, but was unsuccessful — traté de ponerme en contacto con usted, pero fue imposible
- they were unsuccessful in their efforts to please her — no lograron / consiguieron complacerla
- we were unsuccessful in tracing the source of the information — no pudimos dar con las fuentes de la información
- After a few unsuccessful attempts I gave up and started to push it the last ten miles or so.
- To discriminate between successful and unsuccessful interventions we need evidence.
- We have had several unsuccessful attempts in the past and have intercepted all of them successfully.
- That is not restricted to the situation where the claimant is successful or unsuccessful.
- He says attempts to clarify the company's intentions have been unsuccessful.
- She added it was important the company had plans in other cities, in case Sheffield was unsuccessful.
- On his first attempt he was unsuccessful, because he couldn't reach the pedals.
- Will the month-long tour be extended if the American mission is unsuccessful?
- It follows the Eaglegate building's unsuccessful spell on the lettings market as offices.
- Attempts to locate the lorry at Harwich International Port were unsuccessful.
- Police were called, and made a number of unsuccessful attempts to catch the cow.
- An unsuccessful attempt had also been made to set fire to the main shop building.
- One of the group made an unsuccessful attempt to find him before the police were called.
- After two unsuccessful attempts a doctor would not be able to apply again for restoration.
- Equally importantly, the fraction of unsuccessful attempts was reduced fivefold.
- He has already made two unsuccessful attempts at raising finance to fund an expansion programme.
- Although the bid was unsuccessful, the event raised the profile of the town.
- Firefighters in Wales left the picket line in an unsuccessful attempt to save a life.
- She is not a technical person and it is not surprising that she was unsuccessful in her attempts to do so.
- Even though I ended up dreading every unsuccessful feed, I mourned the final one.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.