In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(desk/drawer/room) desordenado(appearance) desaliñado(appearance) descuidado(appearance) desprolijo River Plate(schoolwork/writing) descuidado(schoolwork/writing) desprolijo River Plate(person) desordenado(person) desprolijo River Plate
- Twisting it around, she pulled the hair band over the top and left it in an untidy bun.
- The Springboks were expected to win well, but the first quarter of the game was much of the same of the class of 2001 as passes went astray and line-outs were untidy.
- Carefully I looked at his messy untidy desk, and tried to unravel bits of paper around to see if I could find anything.
- Apart from looking rather untidy such displays can cause major difficulties for people in wheelchairs or the visually disabled.
- He arrives (albeit rarely) at our untidy, chaotic office and literally turns his nose up in distaste at the mess.
- If my child or yours is wilfully untidy, lazy or disruptive, there is often a genuine case for saying that it is not really his fault.
- When she saw the maisonette in Sowerby Road, Acomb, she was at first appalled by the untidy state it was in.
- The three men were described as in their twenties, all with dark hair and having a generally untidy appearance.
- Just imagine if the pages of this book, instead of being bound together in numerical order, were delivered to you as an untidy pile.
- There is clearly much to do, if archaeology is to put its supremely untidy and overstuffed house in order
- Often slovenly and untidy, she dressed to draw attention to her figure, and the history of her love affairs and marriages provided a basis for much talk.
- James nervously straightened his untidy cravat and smoothed his hair.
- Her influence on the Chancellor has tidied up his life, his chaotically untidy homes and his unflattering clothing.
- Outside the mortuary, there are more bodies lying in untidy rows covered by red-stained cloths, waiting to be identified by their families.
- My flat suddenly looked very chaotic and untidy in comparison.
- Are we turning away locals and visitors because of expensive and inadequate car parking, and an untidy cluttered High Street?
- He is white, 6ft tall, slim and of untidy appearance and was wearing a black baseball cap, dark denim jacket and jeans.
- This means that the cemetery has a very untidy, unkempt appearance but this will soon change.
- Many of the shelves are already cleared and the rest are an untidy jumble.
- If an untidy person is unkempt, why is a tidy person not kempt?
- They reported that the area is overcrowded with vendors, and is untidy and chaotic.
- ACT is opposing this bill, because it is very untidy, very messy legislation.
- Why do we do accumulate, hoard and keep our homes and offices in messy, untidy, disorganized clutter?
- They seemed totally lost and there was far too many door staff making it look cluttered and untidy.
- The circular road is the most untidy area in the town due to the nature of buildings along this road, many of which are shabby outbuildings and garages.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.