In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He has been an untiring crusader for gun control, or, from the standpoint of the National Rifle Association, an annoyingly effective nemesis against all they stand for.
- They represent the spirit of those who are not content to take the world as it is, who have ideas of how to improve the life they see around them and who are untiring in their pursuit of these ideas.
- The committee of the flowerbedecked town, who received a trophy and €4,000 prize money, was also rewarded for its untiring efforts over the past six months with the regional and county awards.
- I have no doubt, that we owe much of our success in that golden era of our athletics, to his thoughtful planning, dedication, guidance and untiring efforts.
- He was an untiring worker, honest, and of a singular modesty.
- It is only due to the untiring efforts of this dedicated band of women that the doctor from Texas will meet his soul mate.
- He was untiring, but sometimes he was annoyed that he couldn't walk on his head.
- She will also be felicitated during the seminar for her untiring efforts in the field of social development, in particular the promotion of family welfare initiatives.
- He had a nose for news and he was an untiring reporter, reaching everywhere to ferret out some news.
- They are untiring fighters for the rights of battered women.
- His untiring efforts have resulted in making the district a ‘no air horn’ zone.
- ‘My father was an inspirational leader and was untiring in his determination to ensure that the business had the best shops, the best staff and the best product for its customers,’ he said.
- The parish is grateful to him for his presence amongst us, his spiritual anecdotes and his untiring priestly zeal for our spiritual welfare.
- After all it is infinity itself that the untiring artist wants to grasp more than anything else in the world.
- In addition to receiving the best education that the South could offer blacks at that time, Ella inherited a powerful sense of service that made her civil rights efforts extraordinarily unselfish and untiring.
- William of the President's Council on Bioethics is to be commended for his untiring efforts supporting scientific progress through ethical stem-cell research.
- But the untiring efforts and killer instinct in them to excel on a par with others took them to the new heights of winning medals at the recently concluded fifth National Athletics Championships at Bangalore.
- The 149 paintings, sculptures and other art works that brighten up Waterford Regional Hospital for the sick and their loved ones are there thanks to the untiring work of Waterford Healing Arts Trust.
- He is untiring and unwavering in his dedication - he works on vacation days and is there for everybody, all the time.
- He won the award for his untiring efforts at taking up assignments critical to shop operations and completing them to the satisfaction of his supervisors.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.