In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(pregnancy/child) no deseado(object) superfluo(object) que no se necesitaunwanted hair — vello superfluo masculine
- porcelain tea set, unwanted gift: £25 — vendo juego de té de porcelana, regalo sin usar, £25
- the elderly often feel unwanted — a menudo los ancianos sienten que son una carga para los demás
- I feel unwanted here — siento que estoy de más aquí
- Now there is a chance to get rid of unwanted articles, and serve a worthwhile cause as well.
- We would be grateful for any unused or unwanted books which can be handed into us at the Museum.
- Farmers often see them as a nuisance, an unwanted obstacle dividing up valuable grazing land.
- A former keeper at Glasgow Zoo alleges unwanted pets were fed to snakes as a cost cutting exercise.
- The idea is that the active noise cancels out or reduces the unwanted sound.
- It too was a place to hide from the social and moral stigma of unwanted pregnancy.
- What kind of policy is this where senior citizens are made to feel unloved and unwanted?
- This a chance to get some money for Christmas and also to dispose of unwanted items at home.
- I ask whether he found himself the focus of unwanted press attention when they were together.
- They are also sending out posters to remind patients to cancel unwanted appointments.
- They don't replace items because they are unwanted, a little frayed or just out of fashion.
- She was part of an unwanted litter and came to us at just five weeks' old.
- The long dark nights are here again but so are the unwanted visitors to our homes.
- He has received unwanted attention from religious parties in the past, he says.
- Stray and unwanted cats have been patched up, neutered and sent off to new homes.
- Customers will benefit from a reduction in the number of unwanted and inappropriate calls.
- York's animal shelter is packed out with unwanted cats and dogs who now need new homes.
- What if anti-spam laws could be formulated to prevent unwanted telemarketing calls?
- Giving a charitable donation in the name of a friend is another way to avoid handing over unwanted gifts.
- The club would welcome any unwanted toys in good condition that can be sold.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.