In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Drawing nearer we peeped with fascinated horror through the grimy, unwashed windows at the interior still life.
- They should be stored in the refrigerator, unwashed, but thoroughly washed before consuming.
- Irritation at coming home and finding unwashed dishes in the sink after spending three hours cleaning the kitchen yesterday.
- Washed potatoes often will green more readily than unwashed potatoes.
- I could get into the Pavilion, or The Flea Pit as we called it, for the price of two jam jars, washed or unwashed.
- At your campsite, never leave dirty dishes unwashed, lying unprotected.
- A trick for eggs was to take them fresh and unwashed from under the hen, smear them with Vaseline, and store them in the bilge.
- Therefore, attached to stem B was one washed line and one unwashed line.
- Tyler came bearing a tray of bootleg whiskey and gin and poured them drinks in squat glass tumblers stained with unwashed fingerprints.
- They're usually passed from person to person on unwashed hands and surfaces contaminated by feces.
- She crept downstairs, her feet sticking to the hardwood floors, through the kitchen with its sink stacked high with unwashed dishes, and down the hall.
- The bacteria that causes toxic shock syndrome can be carried on unwashed hands and prompt an infection anywhere on the body.
- The house is in disarray, piles of unwashed dishes and unpaid bills are strewn across the dining room table.
- Nearly all wounds became infected, the infection often being transmitted by the surgeons' unwashed hands and instruments.
- I had a bit of a duty call to go and watch a friend in a play, and not just any old tatty fringe show with no set and stinky unwashed costumes, but a proper posh play at the proper posh Edinburgh International Festival.
- Picking up an unwashed dish at random, it puzzled him to see that bacteria had failed to colonise around a mysterious mould which had coincidentally appeared.
- His clothing was in rags and he was unwashed, hair stained and matted, traces of spittle dried upon his chin and chest.
- Four heads of unwashed hair (but it cleans itself after a few years!) and a week's worth of unwashed dishes.
- At 2,900 yen per night or about €27, it is as cheap as a hostel yet unlike most European hostels, it isn't over-run by unwashed backpackers.
- In my unwashed condition, I would only make them filthy again.
1the great unwashed — la plebe derogatory informal humorous
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.