In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(person) inflexible(opposition) implacable(opposition) rígido(insistence) persistente
- One of the golden threads that links all these great people is their unyielding commitment to do that which was right in the face of mammoth challenges.
- Alas, it not only had large keys, but a stiff and unyielding action.
- Most famous for his swashbuckling systems and successes at Foggia more than 10 years ago, he was an unyielding believer in attack as the best form of defence.
- He was quintessentially labor, he was uncompromising in his stance for the poor and the dispossessed, and he was unyielding in his respect for the dignity of work.
- The dignified way in which she battled her brain tumour is a credit to her unyielding character.
- His is a story of a remarkable, unyielding spirit and uncompromisingly fierce defiance.
- It was hard to win with my father; he was an unyielding man, and a force to be reckoned with if you fell short of anything less than perfection.
- She was a tough woman of unyielding principle, standing up in protest against war, injustice and conditions of impoverishment.
- Those who worked with Cameron found him arrogant and unyielding to pressure to alter the course he had set.
- We're absolutely unyielding, though, on the subject of our good intentions.
- He is unyielding in his perceptions, and his rigidity both elevates and isolates him.
- Friends credit his survival to his positive outlook, his unyielding faith and an iron will.
- Katherine first started therapy as a rigid, unyielding business person, with no sense of frivolity or joy.
- He is both a friend and a tough, unyielding journalist.
- The drive she feels to achieve, Simone says, can be traced directly to the unyielding support she has felt from her family.
- He was a steely fellow, a man with a gentle Southern accent and an unyielding faith in discipline.
- Even with her vegetation obsession, she was unyielding and did not back down from ridicule or teasing.
- On divorce, contraception, abortion and homosexuality, he was unyielding in his adherence to doctrine.
- A compelling leader with brilliant intelligence, he was adamant and unyielding in his mission.
- Unlike the previous confrontation, however, his men were equally unyielding.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.