In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(vertical)(position/post) vertical(posture) derecho(posture) erguidoto place/stand sth upright — colocar/poner algo de pie / vertical
- sit upright — siéntate derecho
- he held himself upright throughout the ceremony — se mantuvo erguido durante toda la ceremonia
- Horseriding is an excellent antidote for those of us who slouch, since stomach muscles must be kept tight in order to maintain an upright position in the saddle.
- Though she was upright, the blood seemed to be rushing from her head.
- Each gate will have the ability to revolve on a hinge, from a horizontal resting position on the bottom of the sea to an upright position rising above sea level.
- When I was finally upright, I was almost trembling with pain, but I had only come close to yelping once.
- Before I was fully upright, a powerful surge of pain engulfed my body.
- He was upright immediately, staring at her in shock.
- When we parted she was upright, energised, smiling and laughing.
- With barbell in hand, and squeezing with your hamstrings, raise your body to an upright position.
- As soon as she was upright again, she began running as fast as she could along the ridge, angling uphill and away from the river.
- She was being dragged straight towards the water when she pulled her knees up to her chest and heaved with her feet, regaining an upright position.
- The man finally stands up and slowly pulls his motorbike into an upright position.
- Instead, it will be placed in an upright position next to the speaker.
- Encourage the stem that will form the new plant to grow straight by gently bending it into an upright position and attaching it to a cane.
- The bathroom, for example, has a bath that can be moved in an upright position, aromatic oils and special music can be added.
- But suddenly, instead of finding herself laying in the filth, she was shocked to find she was still upright.
- It clicks into place in an upright position when needed.
- By sitting in a relaxed upright position, you make effective use of your vestibular system, which helps us to maintain balance.
- The sidecar is free to pivot relative to the bike, so the bike can lean, steer, even fall over, while the sidecar maintains its upright position.
- Please return all seatbacks to their full upright position.
- Within a matter of seconds, he was snoring as if he were not upright in a car, but lying comfortably in his own bed.
- Flips were pretty basic, but basically you angled the tip of the board up and then brought it around in a circle until you were upright again.
- He said Easter Island now has some trees and many of the statues have been brought to an upright position again.
- Today, the stones lie flat and it is uncertain whether they were ever upright; excavations in 1901-2 failed to reveal any sockets.
- This space is large enough to accommodate four large Samsonite suitcases in an upright position.
- This variation of a traditional hitch rack allows you to carry three to four bikes in an upright position, making the loading and unloading of bikes a breeze.
- There may be less room in the front, but it still offers comfort and space for driver and passenger alike, and a pleasantly upright driving position gives you a sense of command.
- He was upright in an instant, huffing and puffing with such violence that his entire body seemed to quake and quiver with every breath.
- Next she returns to an upright position and repeats the rotation with her arms extended overhead, rotating toward her left side and then her right.
- The colossal white columns, which lean forward 20 centimeters, will be returned to their upright position.
- Make sure your tray tables are in the upright position.
- When he realised what had happened, he groaned and stood slowly, removing the chair from under him before looking over to me and glaring as he returned it to an upright position.
- Then I heard a choking noise and when I came into the lounge I found Lee stuck under the chair which was in its normal upright position.
- She drew herself back to an upright position, exhaling.
- These are placed in an upright position with their mouths upward, stopped up with seaweed or imperishable grass, and covered with earth.
- It usually perches in a diagonal rather than upright position.
- It is a typical stone row, comprising a line of upright stone slabs, constructed about 2000 bc as a ceremonial site.
- A few of them looked up at this lone upright figure, wading through the masses, but they didn't pay him much heed.
- There was also a family of four, a tall, upright man with fair hair, and a woman beside him who was plump and dark-haired.
- Suddenly she was brought to an upright position, blood rushed back down from her previously upside down head, before it came back up to flame her pale face.
- She's in very good condition, in an upright position on the seabed.
- Being of upright character is not at all a prerequisite for being a pop star.
- Its employment roster is a roll-call of upright citizens.
- She was always kind, and he certainly loved eating her cookies, which he was fed fairly often, but she always made James slightly nervous, in that she was extremely upright all the time.
- A somber, upright man, he is interested only in truth and justice.
- Corruption like all other vices is a moral issue and we feel that the public can avoid being accomplices if they are morally upright.
- I could also extend effective protection to upright officers who happened to displease powerful politicians.
- Job recovered in the end, but many just, upright men do not.
- She was upright, Scottish and religious, and dominated my young life. She read to me for hours and gave me my faith, and I'm grateful to Nana for that.
- John was a much loved and respected member of the community, known for his upright and honest nature.
- He seemed a decent fellow - honest, upright, considerate, and willing to put others before himself.
- Faultless and upright people have been killed.
- Most business people are upright citizens; but that does not change the fact that business is conducted for private gain and not for public benefit.
- When officials are upright and vigilant, drivers will be extra cautious.
- A fine noble gentleman, honest and upright, he gained the respect of everybody.
- This is the engaging story of an upright man's quest to protect his family, find love, and see justice done.
- It is lamentable that the defendant has to pay such a disastrous price to be an upright person.
- We need upright people in the council because there is important work to do.
- The vast majority of them are decent, upright people who share our horror at what has happened.
- It attempts, in parallels, to raise serious political and emotional questions about the moral predicament of the present day upright people.
- Born in Warwickshire, she was the daughter of a land agent whose moral qualities are reflected in those of the upright Adam Bede.
1(post)Architecture Building montante masculinemasculine soporte verticalmasculine poste
- The drive wheel is held by a pair of short posts, and the uprights and spokes are very ornately turned.
- In this case, there are four antennas mounted on each of the three upright support structures.
- He worked his hands up the carved stone uprights and grunted as he got a knee over the balcony's lip and rolled over the railing.
- Near the centre was a tall standing stone now marked by a concrete obelisk, adjacent to which was a short straight line of stones which may have formed one side of a square around the central upright.
- The ‘smart’ fence uses breakable metal pins inserted between the top pole and the uprights supporting it.
- The most common arch form is constructed of steel uprights supported in concrete-filled oil drums, with a trellised head spanning the road.
- Hutton Mount Limited reported the removal of the horizontal barrier in a recent newsletter and said the bollards and uprights were to remain standing as a ‘very effective speed restriction’.
- Typical of the Medway group of long barrows, it comprises three large uprights supporting a single massive capstone.
- A locked metal gate supported by two thick concrete uprights stood in the way.
- Carefully I climbed over the rickety fence, just wooden poles slung between uprights.
- The spaces between the posts are filled in with redwood patterned inserts or detailed uprights that can alternate in size for extra design interest.
- The winds, which had now swung south-east sent great waves over those who still clung to anything they could get a grip on, such as chains, steel uprights or iron support bars.
- The timbers were the uprights of wattle fences, the complex containing up to 100,000 square feet or 30,500 square metres of fencing, some of which still survives.
- Make sure safety bars are inserted into the uprights.
- Fires have burnt most of the uprights to charred stumps but the thick wooden corner posts are still intact.
- Now the two floors of the restaurant are laid out around the stout timber uprights which support the internal floors.
2also upright pianopiano vertical masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.