In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1he lives upstate — (fuera de la capital) vive en el norte del estado
- to go upstate — ir hacia el norte
- His mom was standing over the sink, probably washing dishes, and was talking about something that had to do with a college upstate.
- It doesn't matter so much in New York City, but upstate it's a problem.
- She agrees and, along with her husband, travels upstate to the secluded, wooded oasis.
- I'm heading inland, upstate, out of town and off the radar.
- He had gotten into one law school upstate, and was waiting to hear from the west coast.
- In the coming months, Alex's job will very likely relocate upstate, a four-hour drive from here.
- Apparently there was a problem with the lease on his late parents' house and he had to head upstate for the weekend.
- You see, I'm moving from upstate to somewhere down in the southern half for next year.
- Eventually he began taking them on trips to the Jersey shore and to an orphanage upstate.
- When I retire in a few years, I think that I will move to Wyoming, Montana or even to upstate Idaho.
- Here he was, on Christmas Eve with Eva's family in a large mansion in upstate Massachusetts.
- I am upstate and the lack of light pollution makes the eclipse a sight to behold.
- On the way upstate to his honoring ceremony, Harry drops in to visit his sister, and they immediately begin arguing.
- Because most prisons are built upstate, many families have difficulty making the long trips.
- The city's intransigence has hardened already hard upstate opposition.
- Someday, they want to move upstate, buy a house, maybe even have kids.
- At six years old, I was adopted by a childless immigrant couple living in upstate New York, a Irish stone mason-carpenter and his wife.
- The network spans southern upstate New York, Long Island, northern New Jersey and Connecticut.
- How did I go through adolescence in upstate New York and miss this?
- Kingdom Hospital, located in upstate Maine, has a rather redolent past.
1de fuera de la capitala house in upstate New York — una casa en el norte del estado de Nueva York
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.