In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Two thirds of the pupils speak Urdu or Punjabi as their mother tongue.
- When I was growing up, the only language I ever heard was either Urdu or Hindustani.
- The petition was the outcome of a mass movement in support of Urdu language.
- He saw old manuscripts and spoke about similarities of Urdu, Arabic and Persian.
- Often piled in corners, they were written in Arabic, German, Urdu and English.
- Copies of the film are being made in English and Urdu and will be distributed to all schools in south Bradford.
- An Urdu speaker was available if needed to act as translator, although in the event he was not needed.
- Her first months were spent in language school, where she became proficient in Urdu.
- In spite of making Urdu the second official language in some States, the decline has continued.
- He spoke to me in chaste Urdu and I had to make do with my ungrammatical Hindi.
- It is without question that more people speak Hindi or Urdu than Spanish.
- Similar books had been written in Arabic and Urdu, but this was the first of its kind in English.
- She began to write from the right hand side of the page as if she were writing Urdu.
- His mother tongue was Punjab and the medium of instruction in school was Urdu.
- The spoken form of Urdu is the same as that of Hindi but it is written in a different script than Hindi.
- The proof of the popularity of Urdu in North India is in the sale of Urdu verse in Hindi script.
- It noted there was only limited promotional material in Urdu or any other Asian language.
- He learned Persian, Urdu and Bengali and took an interest in the ancient Sanskrit language.
- This includes discussions between the defendants and the informant in both Arabic and Urdu.
- He regretted that though Urdu language is used in speaking, its script is vanishing.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.