In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1utilidad femininethis law/machine has outlived its usefulness — esta ley/máquina ha quedado desfasada / ha dejado de prestar utilidad
- In the light of this we want to question the usefulness and convenience of maintaining this on the agenda.
- In other areas of design, a noticeable attractiveness is thought to be relevant as well as usefulness and usability.
- Police today cast doubt on the usefulness of over-the-counter drug testing kits to detect spiked drinks.
- Vases, for example, derive their value from their usefulness or desirability for humans.
- We throw away stuff not because it's outlived its usefulness or functionality but its novelty.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.