In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The biblical parable of the talents was the central interpretative puzzle in this regard since it appears to advocate usury and, worse still, the careful preserver loses all and the usurer gains more.
- As Mongolian incomes tended to be seasonal there was ample opportunity for usury.
- The superpower of the ancient world was influenced both by God and by the demons of materialism, violence, self-love, fraud, and usury.
- We need a new Prescription for America, a regulatory structure which puts a ceiling on drug company profits the same way credit laws establish what constitutes usury.
- He was litigious, speculated cannily on the property market, hoarded grain in times of shortage and may have practised usury.
- Make no mistake, this is high-street robbery and amounts to usury in all but name!
- They also practised usury, charging an interest rate of 5 per cent a day.
- But where do you draw the line between this kind of usury and legitimate lending?
- We set up systems of regulation of banking on the national level and interstate trade, which naturally affect all the state levels, which regulate currency, which regulate banking, which prohibit usury.
- Rent as he defined it, was an ‘immoral tax,’ paid as tribute to landlords, and was synonymous with interest, profit, usury, and tax.
- The Roman Catholic church fathers took strong stands on the question of usury, which they saw as not merely excessive interest, but any injustice in trade.
- Fighting against usury and the persecution of debtors has a long religious history as well as a social justice lineage.
- I think an economy should be based on thrift, on taking care of things, not on theft, usury, seduction, waste, and ruin.
- Although usury was theoretically forbidden, in practice it was allowed at rates of no more than ten percent per annum.
- The chapter on usury will be of particular interest for those concerned about the church's current teaching on contraception.
- The loan scheme is in fact a case of state-sponsored usury, carried out at the expense of young people.
- This debt was created artificially, by usury, which technically is morally unlawful, which is therefore, lawfully a crime.
- The Bible condemns usury in no uncertain terms.
- Yet for hundreds of years there were denunciations of usury and severe punishments inflicted for its practice.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.