In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Production of vehicles, including cars, trucks, vans and sports utility vehicles, expanded 33.3 per cent in May from the same month last year.
- Cars, trucks and sports utility vehicles pulled up with donations of food, drinks, clothes, toiletries.
- Small-engine sedans, sports and utility vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and trucks are currently the best-selling motor vehicles.
- Drivers and passengers of utility vehicles and golf cars need to follow the same precautions as one would in their own motor vehicles.
- CarMax will stock more than 400 late-model used cars, trucks, minivans and sports utility vehicles.
- No utility vehicles or emergency vehicles could get down here.
- Modern farmers and ranchers have discovered the efficiency of using ATVs as utility vehicles for driving around their property.
- Foreign manufacturers that had broken into the American market in the 1970s joined Detroit in supplying less fuel-efficient minivans, pickups, and sports utility vehicles to eager buyers.
- Sport racing ATVs also have a lighter weight design than utility vehicles for quicker movements.
- Better a cheap and cheerful hatchback in today's urban environment than any number of overdressed sports utility vehicles or family van units with pointlessly detachable seats.
- This year, for example, Americans actually bought more petrol-guzzling trucks and sports utility vehicles than cars.
- But its worldwide sales are stagnating: between 1998 and last year, they rose only 100,000 units to 2.3 million cars and utility vehicles.
- Parked outside the front door was a utility vehicle with a seal on the side, marking it as government-issue.
- The slashing of duty on steel, from 15 to 10 per cent, was to result in a marginal reduction in the cost of cars and utility vehicles.
- Their goods are then packed and carried to the shops by a utility truck.
- In the rearview mirror, Ivan could see more security vehicles with flashing blue lights, this time cars, not bulky utility vehicles.
- More energy-efficient than a truck and fun to drive, all-terrain utility vehicles are perfect machines for farm, garden and small-scale forestry work.
- Its energy policy does very little to ensure greater fuel economy in cars or sports utility vehicles.
- Still, this is a utility vehicle, so one of the things that they've done is to integrate a multitude of storage and cargo capabilities.
- The governments of the UK and Germany signed a contract in November 1999 for the collaborative development and initial production of the family of next generation armoured utility vehicles.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.