In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In many Utopias, including that of Sir Thomas More and the Utopian communities of William Lane in Paraguay, divine peace and justice would only be achieved by a strong central authority with the power to oversee all aspects of society.
- His stories were dreams of technological utopias in which nightmares of personal and political dystopia were played out.
- Predictably enough, a murder-free utopia soon starts to look mighty dystopic.
- A utopia is not a portrait of the real world, or of the actual political or social order.
- Scholars suggest that all Utopias since Plato have been but variations of the model provided by Plato, possibly with the exception of that portrayed in the teachings of Jesus.
- His failure to understand human aspirations made utopias hard to find.
- Many scholars have made a Utopia from an egalitarian society in which coteries of artists wined and dined their rich and enlightened patrons.
- No utopias have been enduringly successful.
- In utopia, every citizen has immediate access to the appropriate specialist for medical consultation.
- Hence the long and sad history of various utopias, of ‘ideal’ political systems, and of men and women who really did believe themselves to be fully in control of their destinies.
- He wanted to create an ideal city, an urban utopia, and wrote the charter for it.
- The social utopia you crave is an anathema to a majority.
- Some £110 bn has been spent on the area since the socialist utopia vanished.
- People seem to regard Fire Island as a utopia, and it's not hard to discern why.
- Something strange happened on the road to our much-celebrated post-industrial utopia.
- Wilson sought to achieve a utopia, in which all nations would adhere strictly to moral principles.
- These meetings put into practice and hold out hope for a utopia based not on economic but spiritual prosperity.
- The utopia that the settlers sought always remained beyond their grasp.
- Education, Democracy and thus high taxation are necessary parts of what I imagine to be utopia.
- "Brooklyn's a place that has taken on an identity as this sort of creative utopia," Butler said.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.