In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1día de la victoria aliada en Europa en la segunda guerra mundial
- Weeks before the end of the war Mr Martin was given leave and celebrated VE day with the family of his best friend, Stanley, who served in the Navy.
- Blackburn Cathedral celebrated VE day by hosting a peace concert on Sunday evening.
- He trained with the division in England, and served with it from Normandy to VE day.
- At St Catherine's Residential Care Home in Horwich residents rolled back the years with wartime songs to mark VE day.
- Her journey was to mark the 60th anniversary of VE day, and her ship's company attended numerous ceremonies commemorating the Allied success.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.