In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tubo de vacío masculine
- In 1948 the vacuum tube was replaced by longer-lived solid-state transistors, marking the dawn of microelectronics.
- A photocell is usually a vacuum tube with two electrodes.
- We think of the 1950s as the golden era of the vacuum tube.
- It wasn't until the vacuum tube and the transistor were invented that true computers became feasible.
- I didn't know much about transistors because my education was during the days of vacuum tube.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.