In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(card)tarjeta de tono humorístico y/o amoroso que se envía anónimamente el día de San Valentín
- I want to send my dearest friend a special valentine, with x's, o's, and hearts and bows, so she'll know that she is mine!
- I thought that true love was giving your crush a valentine and getting one in return.
- Strange men followed her in the street, and anonymous valentines, love poems, and long-stemmed red roses in bouquets of a dozen found their way to her door.
- Much later, Esther Howland, a resident of Worchester and a college student at Mt. Holyoke during the late 1820s, decided to create her own valentines.
- I received 24 email valentines at work, and every single one was a hack attempt.
- Sooner or later, we begin to understand that love is more than verses on valentines and romance in the movies.
- I didn't think juniors still gave out valentines (I stopped giving and receiving seven years ago, that streak being broken last year), but I guess I was wrong.
- The oldest known greeting card of any type still in existence is a valentine from 1400, and it is displayed at the British Museum in London.
- In every play I write there is a valentine to Carl and there's a valentine to Anne.
- She used to boast she got a valentine from the actor (she didn't).
- Campaigners asked supporters nationwide to send valentines to the secretary of the Treasury, asking him to appeal to Congress to act quickly on the issue.
- I overheard two fifteen year old girls behind me at the ATM planning to get together tomorrow night and eat ice cream and comfort each other when they didn't get any valentines.
- We've made cards for children in Africa, valentines for hospital patients, and Easter bonnets to sell at our fundraising auction.
- And, yes, I have sent a valentine, I'm just not saying who to.
- I cringe every time I remember the disastrous valentine I sent him back in second grade, when I had a major crush on him.
- To appreciate printing in everyday items students look at my collection of antique valentines and share each other's budding collections of beautiful greeting cards.
- The one thing I do love about Valentine's Day is being able to post my favorite creepy valentines.
- As she seems easily fooled, why not send yourself sheaves of valentines and other billets-doux?
2also Valentine(person)enamorado masculineenamorada feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.