In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The coastal plain is low and broad, with areas of sand between the marshy river valleys.
- They have rooms at the Crescent, overlooking a river valley.
- Through the trees I could see the far side of a narrow wooded valley.
- It is a land of mountains, moorland and hill pasture, with steep river valleys and cliffs.
- Between these towns, farmers who had been recruited by seigneurial landowners filled the fertile river valley lands.
- The topography is stunning, all steep-sided wooded valleys and strategically planted game crops.
- They met on a grassy hill overlooking a valley on one side and an ocean on the other.
- Have you ever admired those pictures of trampers walking through beautiful forest, or standing on a mountain top gazing over valleys or glaciers, and wished it were you?
- The steep hills and valleys also offer superb rivers for white-water rafting.
- It has such beautiful farmland, mountains, valleys, and rivers that one-fifth of the country is designated as national parkland.
- But areas of high rainfall and narrow river valleys are also ideal for hydro-electric power generation.
- Viticulture is most extensive in the Rhine and Mosel valleys in west Germany and is an important export industry.
- Mountains, valleys, and rivers provide memorable scenery for tourists.
- They were in a deep valley completely surrounded by mountains.
- The country's only airport occupies a significant portion of the level valley bottom.
- They saw the lights revolving and knew they were flying in a deep valley surrounded by mountains.
- Did I realise that the little valleys of that region are so verdant because it rains every day?
- We did a broad round route this afternoon up all the surrounding hills crossing the valley floor a couple of times.
- The cool breeze that wafts across the lush green valley is as smooth as silk.
- His direction took him up a hill beside a steep, narrow, wooded valley.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.