In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Motor Vehiclesfurgoneta femininecamioneta femininevagoneta feminine Mexico
- Betty May Hall was driving a white rental van, following her husband's red Toyota.
- As usual tens of riot police vans were waiting for them.
- Just as they reached the bus stop, a stolen police van pulled up.
- The drivers of both the van and car were injured.
- The 23-year-old, who has not been named by police, was driving a sports car which hit a van on the wrong side of the road.
- An armed attack on an armoured security van carrying thousands in cash was foiled by undercover police.
- They dragged her outside and easily threw her into the bed of an unmarked dark blue van.
- A team of nine scenes-of-crime officers were dispatched in a police van with blacked-out windows to search the couple's home last night.
- A spokesperson said two robbers approached the driver of a security van that was transporting the cash, forced him to the ground and tied his hands.
- The following morning the gang were caught red handed loading the loot into a stolen transit van.
- As he passed the entrance of the church he heard a bump on the side of his van.
- Security was such a concern that the seven defendants were taken to court in an armed convoy of armoured vans flanked by police motorcyclists.
- The pickup driver then opened the driver's side of the van brandishing a handgun.
- The windscreen of the van cracked and the side window shattered.
- He was hit by a car as he stepped out from behind a parked van.
- A delivery van driver disturbed the burglar, but he escaped.
- Trading standards officers spoke to two men in a builder's van.
- The van collided with a parked car after the collision.
- Police are hunting the van driver and have appealed for witnesses.
- A man wearing a balaclava approached an unoccupied parked van and fired two shots into it.
1(forefront)vanguardia feminineto be in the van (of sth) — estar en / a la vanguardia (de algo)
- Two economies have been strikingly in the van of this advance: the US and China.
- The Australian dollar was again in the van last night, rising 0.6% against a broadly weaker US dollar.
- As always the hospitality and courtesy of Mayo people in the Sportlann was early in evidence with Sean Feeney, John Prenty and May Moran leading the van.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.