In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Motor Vehiclesfurgoneta femininecamioneta femininevagoneta feminine Mexico
- The windscreen of the van cracked and the side window shattered.
- As usual tens of riot police vans were waiting for them.
- The 23-year-old, who has not been named by police, was driving a sports car which hit a van on the wrong side of the road.
- As he passed the entrance of the church he heard a bump on the side of his van.
- Betty May Hall was driving a white rental van, following her husband's red Toyota.
- He was hit by a car as he stepped out from behind a parked van.
- A spokesperson said two robbers approached the driver of a security van that was transporting the cash, forced him to the ground and tied his hands.
- Trading standards officers spoke to two men in a builder's van.
- The pickup driver then opened the driver's side of the van brandishing a handgun.
- The following morning the gang were caught red handed loading the loot into a stolen transit van.
- A man wearing a balaclava approached an unoccupied parked van and fired two shots into it.
- Police are hunting the van driver and have appealed for witnesses.
- An armed attack on an armoured security van carrying thousands in cash was foiled by undercover police.
- A delivery van driver disturbed the burglar, but he escaped.
- Security was such a concern that the seven defendants were taken to court in an armed convoy of armoured vans flanked by police motorcyclists.
- A team of nine scenes-of-crime officers were dispatched in a police van with blacked-out windows to search the couple's home last night.
- The drivers of both the van and car were injured.
- They dragged her outside and easily threw her into the bed of an unmarked dark blue van.
- Just as they reached the bus stop, a stolen police van pulled up.
- The van collided with a parked car after the collision.
1(forefront)vanguardia feminineto be in the van (of sth) — estar en / a la vanguardia (de algo)
- As always the hospitality and courtesy of Mayo people in the Sportlann was early in evidence with Sean Feeney, John Prenty and May Moran leading the van.
- The Australian dollar was again in the van last night, rising 0.6% against a broadly weaker US dollar.
- Two economies have been strikingly in the van of this advance: the US and China.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.