In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(hooligan)vándalo masculinegamberro masculine Spaingamberra feminine Spain
- A woman today told of her horror after every room in her house was spray-painted by vandals.
- The play area was fenced off in September after vandals left the site unsafe for young children to play.
- Angry shop owners are calling on police to get tough with vandals who are targeting their businesses.
- The school has been damaged by vandals on a number of occasions over the last few years.
- He said all the trees on the land were damaged by vandals four months ago and only replaced this week.
- Council chiefs have slammed vandals who deliberately damaged a historic priory.
- The couple believe vandals deliberately dropped the heavy panel on to their car from a bridge.
- CCTV cameras will be installed and fencing will be erected to prevent vandals moving in.
- Why do mindless vandals frequently ruin our beautiful parks and public buildings?
- Generous people have raised money to replace church windows that were destroyed by vandals.
- Every public bench along the river had been systematically smashed by vandals last summer.
- We have had many problems over the years with vandals, litter, graffiti, drugs and drink.
- The vandals broke into the car, damaged the ignition and stole her walking stick.
- Residents have appealed for police patrols to be stepped up to rid an estate of yobs and vandals.
- A mother has hit out at vandals who damaged a memorial to her teenage daughter.
- Windows were smashed and the roof was damaged but the vandals failed to get into the building.
- A woman who is a repeat victim of car vandals has hit out against the yobs who damage property.
- Police have pledged to step up patrols in a bid to get tough with the vandals.
- The skateboard park has already been targeted by vandals who smashed glass bottles over the site.
- Only weeks ago, vandals set fire to a portable toilet in a school playground.
2VandalHistoryvándalo masculinevándala feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.