In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A computerized laser vaporizes a predetermined portion of the cornea.
- Heat vaporizes gasoline and it all burns as a volatile gas.
- At a sufficiently high temperature the water below would vaporize and form a gas layer that supports the body of water above.
- When Earth passes through the debris each August, the bits are vaporized in the atmosphere.
- Four hundred tons of heavy hydrogen in a real fusion reaction could instantly vaporize a city, but there was no concentrated heavy hydrogen in the building.
- Valued for their predictability, these lasers emit high energy densities within short pulses that vaporize tissue while sparing surrounding skin.
- When the asteroid hit, it was vaporized by the extreme energy of the impact.
- However, NH 3 is toxic, chills its surroundings rapidly on vaporizing, and releases heat on contact with water.
- Also, for early cancers, a doctor may use a laser to vaporize the growth.
- For example, a gas engine is designed to vaporize gasoline and then ignite it with a spark.
- If the alloys are unduly superheated, zinc is vaporized and the chemistry of the alloy is changed.
- The laser actually vaporizes a pinpoint of your skin.
- Before wet wood can burn, heat energy must first supply enough energy to vaporize the water.
- This should help illustrate how much energy it takes to vaporize a gallon of water.
- Its impact with the ground results in a massive explosion, vaporizing the space object and launching perhaps over a trillion tons of gas, ash and rock dust into the atmosphere.
- They've theorized that carbonates in the target rock exploded, vaporizing into carbon dioxide.
- The intensity of the laser light is sufficient to vaporize material and produce irreversible changes.
- The kinetic energy of the meteorite is converted to heat, which vaporizes the surrounding rock as well as much of the meteorite, producing an explosion equivalent to a large nuclear device.
- The explosion initially vaporizes the surrounding rock and produces a high-temperature cavity.
- Laser resurfacing is performed using a beam of laser energy that vaporizes the upper layers of damaged skin at specific and controlled levels of penetration.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.