In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- So knitting with variegated yarns not only requires a certain amount of persistence but also requires an openness to accepting the pooling effect.
- I am knitting a scarf in a variegated blue-ish green-ish rainbow-ish tone.
- Work began on the cathedral in 1064, to be faced in entirely in variegated bands of marble.
- I love subtly variegated yarns, when knitted up they tend to have a heathery effect.
- The entering daylight streaks her high-waisted silk gown, as if invaded by sunset, with trails of variegated colours.
- The lung specimens from seven patients with IPF had a variegated appearance, with alternating zones of Obrosis and intervening patches of normal lung at low magnification.
- To create the illusion on Shelburne's mocha ware teapot, small particles of dried, variegated wedged clay were thoroughly mixed into a larger batch of blue clay.
- The walls and the floor were covered with variegated marbles, and the roof of cedar wood was covered with lead.
- Using variegated yarn for the weft automatically creates a delightful striped pattern as the student continues weaving.
- Sea view: snorkelling swimmers at Australia's Barrier Reef can catch an inspiring glimpse of giant clams, sharks and variegated coral.
- The frame of the inscribed plaque is also variegated.
- It is a beautifully variegated yarn, and was very nice to work with.
- The variegated facades of brick, painted aluminum, and stainless steel are Gehry's own brand of contextual design.
- Then in the gloaming I can just make out a series of variegated camouflage sheets, the size of lonely single beds, strung between the trunks about 2ft off the ground.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.