In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1she has been variously considered as a heroine and a traitor — se la ha considerado de forma muy diversa: a veces como heroína y a veces como traidora
- the victims were variously estimated to number anything from dozens to hundreds of people — el número de víctimas variaba, según los distintos cálculos, entre docenas y cientos de personas
- It is known variously as the Stone of Scone, the Stone of Destiny, Jacob's Pillow and the Coronation Stone.
- Interviewers, she says, are variously rude, poorly researched or plain stupid.
- After Michelangelo and Raphael, he was the most important and variously creative artist of the Roman High Renaissance.
- In the courtroom families of the victims variously sobbed hugged and smiled, as an end to their ordeal came closer.
- During the Inquiry and outside it, he has been variously described as difficult, abrasive and charming.
- Across the UK, people have reported sightings of animals variously labelled as puma, leopard, panther or lynx.
- The cast members are variously able, appropriate in a musical about a Broadway dance audition.
- It was operated variously by Gaumont, Odeon and Classic cinemas.
- Radio shows were clogged with callers variously praising and condemning Fleming's decision.
- They were variously charged with aggravated trespass, theft and criminal damage.
- She has been variously likened to David Bowie, a painting by Vermeer and a face from a silent movie.
- On love, in all its many manifestations, few other poets have written so tenderly and so variously about the subject.
- The eight products were run on six variously configured PCs.
- He has also served variously as governor of five Kew schools, churchwarden, Justice of the Peace and trustee of local charities.
- I have seen it attributed variously to Mark Twain and Benjamin Disraeli.
- The picture has been variously described as a cross between Badlands, The Blair Witch Project and Deliverance.
- The condition has variously been blamed on a hormonal imbalance, psychological or social factors.
- Baxter was variously criticised for not having coached an international side before, or for not being a local.
- Rubinstein fled Poland as a teenager and wound up in Australia, working variously as waitress, nanny and household help.
- We were variously amused, appalled and aroused by what we were seeing, and the bad jokes were one way of dealing with that.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.