In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculine floreromasculine jarrón
- Plain glass vases are still a florist's mainstay, and are perfect for those who prefer the focus to stay firmly on the beauty of the blooms.
- The court was a homely little room, with flowers in vases and pot plants on desks rather than scales of justice and clanging doors.
- Concealed lights accentuate the slender vases and glass candlestands on the dining tables.
- On his way to the kitchen, he noticed a vase of flowers on the kitchen counter that needed water.
- Ever since I bought my flat nearly 3 years ago I have kept fresh flowers in a vase in my lounge.
- In the next room, diners eagerly await their home-cooked food at tables with tablecloths and small vases of flowers.
- Ceramic flower vases and other tableware are available in a riot of colours.
- Logan had accidentally knocked down one of the China vases that their mother adored so much.
- He put the flowers into a vase on the small table next to her bed.
- Simple things such as clean windows, fresh flowers in a vase and pleasant aromas can make a world of difference.
- Flowers fill huge vases on the main verandah where you can sit sipping tea and eating delicious home made cake.
- Molly is simply beaming as she shows off her painting: a vase of vibrant red flowers.
- The large vases, jars, and bowls displayed are all richly decorated with delicate and elaborate blue underglazes.
- Despite her idyllic life spent listening to lutes and arranging flowers for vases in the nunnery, she was very unhappy.
- Each table had its own menu and a vase with a single flower.
- These flowers in a glass vase can enhance the aesthetic appeal of one's living space.
- Happy with the comfortable decor and the huge vases filled with flowers, I float into my cabin.
- Nothing like a few vases of flowers about the place to cheer a dull day, even if we do have to pounce on every falling petal before it hits the floor.
- Large bowls and flower vases serve to spruce up the interiors with a bit of natural greenery and bright coloured blooms.
- With or without flowers, vases should look good enough to stand alone as beautiful objects.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.