In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They wore walking shoes and boots rather than runners, brought about 20 to 30 pairs of socks with them so that they could change them several times a day and used vaseline and methylated spirits to protect their feet.
- We especially need medical supplies such as Sudocream, bandages, vaseline, syringes, any antibiotics, painkillers, even rubber gloves would be great.
- I apply vaseline each morning and use nappy-rash cream each evening.
- She got some vaseline and polished Meadow's hooves.
- Every winter in Pune, my skin would go dry and I would have to apply vaseline or some cold cream to my lips and face.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.