In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Even the layman can coo over the magnificent ribbed vaulting, an 11 th-century innovation that had European architects squirming with envy.
- When more complex vaulting occurs - as in the Lady Chapel at Hertogenbosch or the Nassau Chapel at Breda - it is an emphatic sign of elevated status.
- The brick vaulting of the wine shop and restaurant dates from the 18th Century when the famous Gallwey family owned the building and operated it as a bonded warehouse.
- In the latter case, Gothic evolved from Romanesque vaulting (modelled on Roman precedent) following brilliant experiments in the eleventh century.
- The Dean of Lismore gave a guided tour of the medieval cathedral with its splendid Tudor monument, Gothic vaulting and some elegant memorials.
- The Normans used three styles of vaulting: barrel, rib and cross.
- They were told that an accident in the tower, where two men had been working, had resulted in the partial collapse of some of the vaulting above the knave, just after Evensong had finished at 6.15 pm on Monday.
- The central boss, tying together the ribs of the vaulting, is carved with a double Green Man, the two faces looking in opposite directions.
- Originally, the small church was equipped by elaborate vaulting and plasterwork, and the pavement was covered by tiles.
- The Gothic style of cross vaulting was an unusual choice, set against the Italianate style of the station building.
- It is all the more interesting that Eichstatt Cathedral houses one of the earliest examples of branch work in German vaulting.
- The new building resembled a mediaeval cathedral with its pointed arches, ribbed vaulting and flying buttresses.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.