In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- vice chancellor
- The parties were the two Communist delegations - North Vietnam and the Vietcong's Provisional Revolutionary Government - with whom he discussed the status of war prisoners.
- He asked his forces to lay down their arms and called on the Vietcong to halt all hostilities.
- Colombia's guerrillas have no big outside country to support them the way the Vietcong and North Vietnamese army had the Soviet Union and China.
- Despite massive US military and economic aid, his corrupt administration failed to win the fight against the Vietcong and North Vietnamese forces.
- Sure, we lost tens of thousands of troops, but the North Vietnamese Army and Vietcong lost hundreds of thousands more.
- It took two years after the American withdrawal from Vietnam for Saigon to fall to the Vietcong.
- On the other hand, an increase in the U.S. responsibility for the war against the Vietcong and North Vietnam would slow resources from Johnson's ambitious and domestic program.
- We were there, like Wilsonian idealists, to protect the South against the totalitarian regime of the North and its Vietcong allies.
- The Vietcong had popular support and were supplied by great powers.
- These numbers reminded me of the ever-growing numbers of supposedly killed Vietcong the US military was always reporting during that misguided war.
- But the graduated air attacks on North Vietnam did not dissuade the Vietcong.
- And the Vietcong and North Vietnamese were a tougher, more tenacious enemy, he says.
- Early on 31 January 1968, North Vietnamese and Vietcong forces attacked 27 of South Vietnam's 44 provincial capitals and scores of villages.
- That conflict did not end until the Vietcong occupied South Vietnam and unified the country under their communist banner.
- But terrorists don't fight in phalanxes like ancient Spartans; they fight guerrilla style, like the Vietcong.
- Thang, a former member of the Vietcong, was arrested and imprisoned by the U.S.-backed Saigon regime during the 1954-1975 Vietnam War.
- The weapons of choice for the Vietcong / North Vietnamese army were rockets and mortars.
- The movement against the Vietnam War did include activists who preferred the Vietcong's flag to the American one.
- Thailand, as an ally of the United States, sent forces to support South Vietnam in its war against North Vietnam and the insurgent Vietcong.
- The Vietcong (and their North Vietnamese allies) were thoroughly nasty thugs who ruled by fear.
- Although Hanoi had ordered the formation of Vietcong military units in the Mekong Delta as early as 1957, North Vietnamese leaders debated if the time was ripe to intervene more directly in the South.
- But there were reports during the Vietnam War there were some Americans who had deserted and were seen fighting with the Vietcong or North Vietnamese.
- Victoria Cross
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.