In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(de animal muy joven y de carne pálida) ternera feminine
- We use veal at the restaurant, because that is where all the flavour is, but obviously you can use beef if you prefer.
- The rest of my companions had things like smoked salmon salad, steak, bouillabaisse, and veal and pork stew.
- Most calves are killed when they are older for beef, but about one million a year are killed as calves for veal.
- Most veal comes from animals that have been artificially orphaned, kept in crates or pens, and have been fed on a diet based on milk powder.
- Here, thinly-cut veal is covered in Parmesan cheese breadcrumbs, then fried.
- The wiener schnitzel, a breaded cutlet of veal, is tasty in its own right.
- This dish consists of pork, chicken and veal cooked in yogurt and garlic.
- Brown veal on all sides, ensuring that the meat has developed a bit of a golden/rust crust.
- Angela invites me to spend a day at the Connaught where I am allowed to gut partridges, prep beef and veal fillets and trim girolles.
- Yes, pork fat is higher in unsaturated fatty acids than beef, veal, or lamb fat.
- An equally creamy version with chicken is available, as well as veal or spinach pies.
- Bolognese sauce should include a mix of meats, particularly beef, lamb and veal.
- Place in a heatproof cooking bag and add the port, veal stock, onion, and cinnamon sticks.
- Their dinner had two courses rather than one, and included luxuries such as veal, capons, pigeon, plovers and tarts.
- I roast garlic with olive oil and thyme and add it with finely chopped rosemary to the veal stuffing.
- Now the farm has dairy and beef cattle, veal calves, pigs and sheep as well as cereal crops, pulses and vegetables.
- Add the red wine and reduce to, drain the bones then add to sauce with veal jus, juniper berries and black pepper and cook for 1 hour.
- Only some can afford to buy delicacies such as veal, duck, sturgeon, and salmon.
- Lunch 11.30 am: broccoli, a frankfurter, a roll, salad and braised flank of veal.
- Choosing from Heston's extensive and increasing list of dishes we agreed only that no foie gras or veal would be served.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.