In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1Cookingverdura feminine(dish/soup) de verdurasfresh/frozen/canned vegetables — verdura fresca/congelada/enlatada
- we grow our own vegetables — cultivamos nuestras verduras / hortalizas
- vegetable garden/patch — huerta
1.2(plant)vegetal masculine(oil/fats) vegetal(colors/dyes) (de origen) vegetalvegetable matter — sustancia vegetal feminine
- the vegetable kingdom — el reino vegetal
- She eats a lot of fruits and vegetables, but also red meat, poultry and fish from time to time.
- The potato is the vegetable of choice in the United States.
- Vegetables like broccoli will soak up flavour best.
- If you don't like spinach, try other green vegetables such as beans or bok choy.
- Just about any book or article on nutrition recommends that we eat leafy green vegetables.
- Stock up on fresh fruits and vegetables to replenish the nutrients your body craves.
- Janet stood in her kitchen chopping vegetables for salad.
- He sells his fruit and vegetables locally for prices little higher than those for non-organic produce.
- Why not consider taking on an allotment and growing your own fresh fruit, vegetables and herbs.
- The obvious choices are healthy vegetables like carrots, celery, and cherry tomatoes.
- The buffet-style meals include homemade tortillas, scrambled eggs, and vegetable soup with rice.
- Garlic, oats, fresh fruit and fresh vegetables all help lower bad cholesterol - as does red wine.
- Fruit and vegetables also contain non-essential nutrients called phytochemicals, which have some potent properties.
- A glass of fresh vegetable juice is a healthy snack that will provide your body with important nutrients.
- Most of the vegetables and fruit are grown organically on the estate and they also produce their own honey.
- Both dishes came with a mountain of fresh vegetables - spinach, carrots and green beans.
- There is no limit to what you can grow, from sweet peas to all types of vegetables and soft fruit.
- Scottish diets are high in fat and there is a marked deficiency of fruit and vegetables.
- I lived on vegetable stew, which became by Monday spicy vegetable stew and by Wednesday vegetable curry.
- The children received cooking classes from local chefs who introduced them to cooking healthy foods such as vegetable soup and home made pizzas.
- My parents still make a living selling vegetables at farmers markets.
2masculine vegetal informalmasculine vegetal offensive
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.