In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The field was plowed just before planting, but natural vegetation was allowed to regrow during the experiment.
- Very few plant species seem to be endemic to this vegetation.
- Aspergillus fumigatus is a common fungus that grows on soil, plant debris and rotting vegetation in the autumn and winter.
- Flying over vast areas of vegetation, the scale of the disaster caused by the floods begins to unfold.
- The path would deter people from trampling a wider area of vegetation on their route to the gorge lookout.
- In the boreal forest of northwestern Canada, recurring natural fires have a major effect on the vegetation.
- A few types of vegetation are widespread in this saltwater-influenced area.
- They rip vegetation from the ground and can cause damage to areas where there are large numbers of geese.
- He hoped that building ponds would give ducks resting space and ample habitat for aquatic vegetation to grow.
- The Cactaceae are among the flowering plants that dominate the vegetation of arid and semiarid zones of the New World.
- The location is in a heavily forested area obscured by vegetation and ground debris.
- They vary in color from light tan to reddish and tend to blend in well with the soil and vegetation in their chosen habitat.
- It lives in arid and semi-arid areas with little vegetation, preferring highlands and rocky landscapes.
- A strip of vegetation provides food, shelter and habitat for wildlife, and adds oxygen to the water.
- By choking out other vegetation, it makes an area unusable by plants and animals that live in or depend on the water.
- The first thing you should do is remove all unwanted vegetation from your planting area.
- Clear all grass or other vegetation from the area that you have selected.
- To establish agriculture, they cleared large areas of the native vegetation, much of which is perennial.
- Mountain beavers live in small colonies, occupying areas with plentiful green vegetation and cover.
- Water snails don't eat living plants, just decaying vegetation and algae.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.