In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1velour masculinevelvetón masculine
- The living room was home to a velour three-piece suite and we used the open fire a lot until we discovered the chimney had been blocked all along.
- The clothes were immaculately cut, Mary's grey flannels, pinstripes and wool velours were really, really good clothes.
- He made his reputation by throwing his weight around the department, a considerable girth I might add which he unfortunately chose to cover in velour workout suits.
- Waking up early that day in order to leave extra early and have time to stop at Starbucks for breakfast, Madison and I both showered and then dressed in matching velour sweats, mine in pink and hers in blue.
- Then there's Leon, Marilyn's husband, who goes to work on casual Fridays wearing a velour leisure suit.
- Since I had about a half hour to wait for breakfast, I took a shower and dressed in one of my new pairs of velour sweats.
- He was wearing a black Sean Jean head-to-toe velour suit.
- The sport car comes equipped with a leather steering wheel, leather gear knob, velour upholstery, body coloured spoiler and rugged metallic pedals.
- He wears a black velour tracksuit with white piping and white high-top sneakers, and his dark, auburn-tinged hair is cut short on the sides and longer and somewhat spiky on top.
- She was the first girl in the class to get her ears pierced, the first to own a velour tracksuit (we all lusted after it - this was 1980 after all), the first to have her own record player in her room.
- This year I am going to spend Christmas Day slumped in front of the telly in an atrocious velour tracksuit.
- There were dresses made out of terrycloth and macramé and velour and shorts that were really skirts and sweaters that doubled as jackets.
- It's a lot easier to clean the kind of mess young kids make from leather trim than it is from some of that plush velour material.
- For all the models there is a new range of interior cloth trims, and for Eleganza models also a choice of velour trims.
- She is also quick to point out that there's more to her than just being a footballer's girlfriend and spending money on pink velour leisure suits.
- Velvet, faux fur and velour are rich, soft to the touch fabrics that can be used for comforters, blankets and throw pillows.
- I walked into a lavish guest bedroom with a four-poster bed and heavy velour curtains.
- I changed into the red velour sweat jacket, a pair of baggy jeans, left my UGGS on and under my shirt pulled on a black ‘Led Zepplin’ shirt.
- These velour pants from Hugo Boss are perfect for lounging around, by merging comfort and style.
- There are 87 bedrooms, all in country-house style, and the newly decorated executive rooms, some with four-poster beds, feature darker, lusher colour schemes in opulent damasks and velours.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.