In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Gonorrhea is a very common venereal disease caused by a bacterium, Neisseria gonorrhoeae.
- Genital warts, sometimes called venereal warts, are contracted through sexual contact.
- Medics also found that venereal disease increased alarmingly as the troops moved closer to Philippine urban centers.
- Genital warts, also known as condylomata acuminata or venereal warts, are one of the most common types of sexually transmitted diseases.
- This compounded product is used for chemical peels, actinic keratoses, and venereal warts.
- Even then, you could be at risk for spreading or catching diseases that don't depend strictly on genital contact, such as herpes or venereal warts.
- These may be caused by inflammatory bowel disease, local or systemic malignancy, venereal infection, trauma, tuberculosis, or chemotherapy.
- Transmission is by direct venereal skin-to-skin contact, and 95% of sexual contacts of an active carrier will develop an infestation.
- Their personal habits are so filthy, that I suspected that venereal disease was wide-spread among them.
- In WW I just over one-quarter of the diseases for which British soldiers were hospitalized were venereal.
- In the late 1870s the Royal Navy refused to visit, because of the virulence of venereal infection.
- An appalling number of venereal infections are caused by quite young girls who seem, on the surface, perfectly fit companions for decent lads.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.