In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- There were cookies and jelly candies, too, and a glass of the local verbena cordial, Verveine.
- For blue choose from gentian sage, lobelia, mealycup sage, nemesia, petunia, or verbena.
- We planted verbena around our crape myrtle, and it has gone wild, spilling over the edges of the concrete border.
- Use a good mix of trailing plants like Petunias, Ivy-leaf geranium, verbenas and lobelia round the edge of the basket.
- In large decorative pots, pair dwarf ‘Sentimental Blue’ with red verbenas.
- Thrusting through marigolds and verbena, it stands almost 3 feet high.
- Most botanists believe it is distantly related to verbenas.
- Look for products scented with essential plant oils, such as lemon, verbena, or lavender.
- I'm growing an almond verbena, and it is already about 15 feet tall.
- It features a potpourri of verbena, cardamom and ginger.
- It belongs to the verbena family and comes from the East Indies.
- Primrose, sunflowers, sand verbena, and a number of others we cannot yet identify have exploded upon the sand dunes.
- Should I trim verbena and lantana to encourage flowering?
- Red dianthus and trailing verbena are spectacular in window boxes that can take our Florida sun and heat.
- The plants I am going to use include begonias, impatiens and verbenas, which should produce solid mounds and balls of colour.
- This variety of verbena grows upright, and has massed heads of small round-topped flowers.
- Nighttime festivities called verbenas are held on the eve of religious holidays.
- Likewise, a décor as small as a flower picture will capture the holidays with ivy leaves or red verbena, displayed on the wall.
- Our yard is warm and sunny for most of the day in summer, making it an ideal spot for plants such as pelargoniums and verbena.
- Annuals with good deer resistance include ageratum, ice plant, pincushion flower, verbena and zinnias.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.