In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(poetry)verso masculinepoesía feminineblank/free verse — verso blanco/libre masculine
- before noun verse drama — teatro en verso
- in verse form — en verso
- But I don't want to suggest that Martin writes merely a serviceable blank verse.
- Think about taking away the net and writing some blank verse with some metaphors in it.
- The upsurge of early printed verse translations makes public a large and rapidly distributed body of foreign-born poetry.
- I remember reading the following verse in one of my workbooks at primary school and having to memorize it.
- She wrote well and often corresponded with friends in doggerel verse.
- The second verse is composed in your head between the second and third stations of your trip.
- All Gunn's early verse rhymed - he was the most Appollonian of the 50s poets.
- Both he and Frost advocated the use of natural diction, and of colloquial speech rhythms in metrical verse.
- Robert Frost once classed poetry that way, free verse against formal verse.
- Haiku originated as a simple verse form used to entertain the Japanese upper class.
- For a comprehensive list of German hexameter verse, see Bennett 180-93.
- The caricature was accompanied by doggerel verse which used Mr Tolley's name and extolled the virtues of the chocolate.
- Her stories, told in nonsense verse, are fast-paced with a rhythm that carries through its pages.
- They began writing in iambic pentameter, or in some other " respectable " verse form.
- Should rhymed verse be translated in English rhyme?
- Johnson uses all of these devices in writing his Latin verse imitations.
- Johnson never claims, when writing Latin verse, to be writing formal verse imitation.
- The only way to write poetry is to begin by writing verse.
- Among the pioneers of free verse, D. H. Lawrence stands out as one who, though gifted in metrical verse, is happier without meter.
- The language is mostly the quaint island patois - not the stuff of verse drama.
2.1(short poem)verso masculinerima feminine
2.3also verse lineverso masculine
2.4(in Bible)versículo masculine
- Koranic verses were recited, with the phrases passing from group to group.
- We choose to treat some verses of scripture as having more authority than others.
- Some 21 calligraphic panels of Quranic verses are also on show.
- We have many different such divisions ranging from what would be long verses to chapter style divisions.
- Is there a single verse of the Scriptures that teaches us Christ came to bring us to Heaven where we no longer can sin?
- My eyes scanned the page until I found the third verse of the first chapter.
- It recounts, in twelve expansive books, a story line that occupies only a few verses of the book of Genesis.
- Inside the box, there is some candy and a heart-shaped eraser with a Bible verse attached to it.
- Some verses in the Bible imply that snow is a negative force, while others indicate that snow is a positive one.
- It is the shortest verse in the whole Bible: those two words in the English language - Jesus wept.
- A later search uncovered detonators and a tape containing Koranic verses.
- Rachel enjoys memorizing Bible verses and reciting them each week and playing games with her friends.
- He opened the Bible to John and read the first two verses.
- In a short work like this we cannot examine all the verses in the Bible which refer to the devil and Satan.
- These moments draw on and return to a practice entrenched in evangelicalism: the use of Bible memory verses.
- Listen quietly in your heart and see if an encouraging phrase, or a Scripture verse, or a specific action starts to impress itself upon you.
- Also among other tapes one was found in Arabic containing Koranic verses dedicated to teaching.
- Although the verse refers to a judge, the rationale applies to anyone in a position of public trust.
- An evangelical justification for the physical discipline of children goes deeper than a few isolated verses in the Bible, however.
- I'll take a scripture verse from the Bible and I'll share it with a guy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.