In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculine dorsomasculine verso technicalmasculine reverso
- Posthumous prints have a little marking in Japanese characters on verso.
- This is parallel translation with the Anglo-Saxon on the verso and the translation on the recto.
- There is a drawing of a standing female nude on the verso.
- The image on the verso, divided into three registers, unfolds from bottom to top and from left to right.
- The spindles could be turned to see each sculpture's equally intricate verso.
- Bulgarian National Bank will issue a Baba Marta coloured coin with a martenitsa on its verso on February 28.
- Happily, the verso of the title page tells us why: it's printed in 11.75 point on 15.5 point Minion, with 33 lines to the page in Royal Octavo size.
- He kept old bills and shopping lists, then copied out his sermons on the verso sides and stitched them into handmade notebooks.
- On the verso (when folded) of that catalog, Stanley introduced its ‘No.1 Odd-Jobs Combination Tool.’
- They are then brush-signed and numbered ‘in verso.’
- The story begins with text alone on both recto and verso.
- On the verso where the poem concludes the page is divided into two columns with this hemistich division.
- The lockets of some of Brown's miniatures from the 1840s retain a space on the verso to hold a lock of hair, as is typical of earlier lockets.
- On the folded third sheet, there are speeches written on the first and third sides only, their versos being blank.
- On the verso, two decades later, Balla painted a photo-based commemoration of Mussolini's 1922 march on Rome.
- The book has been offset from the US edition but you wouldn't know this from the title verso.
- Yet the explanation could be far more prosaic - that John's image (unlike those of Mark and Luke at least) had a blank verso.
- Since his picture of Hercules was so small (17 c [m.sup.2]), Raphael may have painted them for his patron as a parodic verso.
- For Schor, this attention to interpretive enjoyment includes both recto and verso, pictorial and scriptural.
- The content of this message, the ‘golden proclamation,’ is given in verbal form on the verso.
- The verso of each panel, the even numbers in the series, presents a more static scene without a framing device.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.